Cumilla Medical College Hospital established in the year 1992 and started functioning in the present location in 1992 with only 250 beds & few out patient services.Later it was upgraded to 500 beds in 2009 respectively.This is one of the second largest hospital in the Chittagon Divition & only referral hospital (Level 3) in greater Cumilla covering 3085 sq. km. area serving health care services for about 60 millions population.At the beginning of this hospital, there were only three departments Medicine,Surgery, Obs. & Gyna..Daily 950 to 1050 patients remain admitted to this hospital.Admission turn over is 450-650 patients per day.Outdoor patient attendance 2000 to 2500.At present its 3 storied building accommodating all ward and departments of all subjects and specialties.But at this moment it is very much essential to have another building keeping provision to accommodate at least 1500 patient.Inspite of a lot of constraints this hospital is rendering all types of general and specialized treatment available in the country.All this possible because of devotion and motivation of all employees of this hospital.
In order to ensure modern medical services to the people of Greater Comilla and Noakhali region in the central part of Dhaka Chittagong and to keep pace with the growing population, to acquire and implement plans to set up a medical college and hospital in Comilla. The foundation stone is laid. The then Mats building (1971-72 academic year) used to admit 50 students in the first year of M, B, B, S: Medical College was started. Later, the government decided to suspend the activities of Comilla Medical College and set up a 250-bed hospital at the acquired site. The construction work of a 250-bed hospital was started at this place in 1986 and after the completion of the construction work in 1991, the hospital was opened on 11 January 1992. As it was essential to transform this hospital into a medical college hospital for the clinical training of the students studying in this college, this hospital with 250 beds was renamed as “Comilla Medical College Hospital” without any infrastructural changes. The infrastructural development work of establishing a full fledged Medical College Hospital has been completed and handed over on 24/7/2008. In addition to the students of the Medical College, the trainee students of the Service Institute adjacent to the Medical College Hospital also work in this hospital for receiving hands-on training.