Laiko Hospital is a tertiary hospital, which has a mix of NSS University Clinics and Clinics, which makes it unique.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE HOSPITAL
The "People's Hospital of Athens" as its original name was, is a hospital that is a special presence, with action of about 70 years, in the fight to address health problems in our country.
Among the plans of the politicians of the 1930s was the need for a hospital for the treatment of the sick, mainly the inhabitants of the city of Athens without financial discrimination. After successive meetings of the Professors of the Medical School and the Senate, it was decided that the university kiosk in Goudi, which was intended for Microbiology and Hygiene laboratories, be transformed into a hospital and house the University of Pathology and the University of Surgery. This location was considered more suitable as it was out of town, in a better environment, quiet, healthy and away from city noise. In 1933 the Prime Minister Panagis Tsaldaris agreed with the proposal of the Professors of the Medical School of the University of Athens to establish a hospital for needy citizens.
During the presidency of the Republic of Alexandros Zaimis on September 2, 1933, Law 5746 was passed by the Parliament and the Senate for the establishment and organization of a Hospital under the name "People's Hospital of Athens". The hospital belonged to the jurisdiction of the then Ministry of State Hygiene and Perception and was a Legal Entity under Public Law. The primary purpose of the establishment of the Hospital was the treatment of the needy suffering from common diseases, and at the same time the education of the doctors, the students of the Medical School and the nurses.
HOME PICTURE OF THE HOSPITAL
The whole building of the Hospital consisted of the semi-basement, ground floor and two floors. The administrative services, the pharmacy, the food warehouse and the laboratories of the Pathology Clinic were installed in the semi-basement and on the ground floor. The area of each of them was not sufficient to serve the needs of the Hospital.
On the 2nd floor, the AD Surgery Clinic and the surgeries with sterilization were installed. In the 1st there was the AD Pathology Clinic and the amphitheater which is in the same place today.
The operation of the AD Pathological Clinic began in October 1933 under the direction of Professor Sp. Livieratos and from 1934 with the head of the Nurse of the E.E.S. Cal. Yulounta. The strength of the beds of the Clinic was more than 100.
The operation of the First Surgery Clinic began in June 1934 with Professor M. Geroulanos as director and the Nurse of E.E.S. M. Koletsou. The delay in the operation of the Surgical Clinic was due to the delay in the completion of the surgical facilities. The strength in the clinic beds was only 28 beds.
The surgeries of the Hospital and the sterilization were spacious and were considered the most modern for that time since from the beginning they were designed for this purpose. It consisted of two rooms, with two operating tables in each room. One room served aseptic operations and the other septic.
There was a harmonious cooperation between the two clinics and the laboratory examinations of the patients of the Surgery Clinic took place in the laboratories of the Pathology Clinic for which three rooms of the Pathology Clinic were provided. The external Pathology and Surgery Clinic was housed in the same room due to lack of space.
There was great difficulty in finding space for housing and operation of a radiology laboratory. Until 1940 the sick were served by radiology laboratories of other Hospitals, usually the Municipal Hospital and the Evangelism. The Radiology Laboratory operated after the war of 1940 when the first radiologist - Director Eft. Paper
There was also a lack of space to house administrative and other ancillary services. To address the above shortcomings under the ministry of Al. Koryzi was granted 30,000,000 drachmas for improvements of the Hospital. Relevant work began in 1938 which remained unfinished due to the war of 1940.
During the occupation by the German troops, the Hospital was ordered by the Germans and the patients were transferred elsewhere.
With the opening of the Hospital, 30 male nurses were appointed to take care of the sick without any training. The Professors of both Clinics found that the appointed untrained male nurses were not suitable for the treatment of the sick. After many efforts of the Professors and in collaboration with the Ministry, some practical nurses were appointed hourly and from the summer of 1934, Kal.
It seems that Mr. Leloudas was the first Administrative Director.
In addition to the medical staff and the Administrative Director, there was at the beginning of the operation of the Hospital the following staff:
• An administrator
• A pharmacist
• An assistant administrator
• A clerk
• A housekeeper
• Two pharmacists
• A cloakroom
• A cook
• Three assistant cooks
• Two seamstresses
• Two laundresses
• Two janitors
• Two supervising sisters (one in each Clinic)
• 30 nurses (men - women)
• 15 maids
• an electrician
• a kiln
At the beginning of the operation of the Hospital, there was no provision for the position of Director of the Nursing Service. V. Rabaouni (1939 - 1944) was the first Director.
CLINICAL, CLASSES & WORKSHOPS AFTER 1940
The Clinics, Departments and Projects-laboratories that worked after the war of 1940, from 1948 to 1960 were:
• Ophthalmology, ENT and Cardiology
• AD Teaching Pathology Clinic
• Urology Clinic
• Orthopedic Clinic
The following new Clinics and Departments have been operating since 1960:
• Hemodynamic Laboratory
• Secondary Educational Surgery Clinic. (VPCHK)
• Hemodialysis Unit
• Clinical Pathophysiology (PF)
• Department of Kidney Transplantation and Surgery Kidney
• Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
• Allergy Division
• Nuclear Medicine
• Department of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (SFOPEK)
• Myocardial Unit (MEMF)
• Department of Patients with Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
• Nursing Service Directorate and Administrative Directorate
SCHOOLS THAT OPERATED IN THE PEOPLE'S HOSPITAL
With a founding Law in 1952, from 1958, the "Higher School of Physiotherapists" started operating.
From 1954 to 1969, the School of Nursing Assistants operated at the People's Hospital, from which 703 nurses graduated. From 1969 by Royal Decree was founded and operated until 1980 within the Hospital Higher School of Nurses Brothers (ASAN) of the General Hospital of Athens "King Paul". The School was a Legal Entity under Public Law and belonged to the Ministry of Social Services.
In 1980, the hospital purchased the former "Mitera" Maternity Hospital at 16 Sevastoupoleos Street, which was initially used to house the ASAN of the People's Hospital and later as a home for the hospital's nurses. Today it houses various Departments, Laboratories, Clinics and a one-day hospital.
The Hospital belongs to the 1st RIA of Attica.
With the ministerial decision 13 / 1-5 / 2/87 and with Law 2519/97, art. 18 (Government Gazette 165 / 21.8.97 τ.Α΄) for the reform of the organization of the Hospital, the Hospital consists of four services: a) Medicine, b) Nursing c) Administrative and d) Technical. All four services are equal to each other, while each has its own structure and staffing, reporting to the Commander and the Board of Directors of the Hospital.
A) The Administrative Service is currently divided into two sub-directorates 1) Administrative, 2) Financial. Each sub-directorate includes its departments and independent offices, while it also includes employees of category HR, as Other Personnel.
B) The Nursing Service is currently structured in five areas. Each section covers the corresponding sections of the sections of the Medical Service.
C) the Medical Service consists of 1) of the Departments and 2) of the Cross-sectoral Departments. The sectors include a) the pathological, b) the surgical and c) the laboratory. Intersectoral Departments include a) emergencies, b) day care, c) Mediterranean anemia unit, d) prenatal diagnosis and e) short-term care. In the Departments there are regular outpatient clinics of corresponding specialties with the specialties of the doctors serving in the Hospital.
Apart from doctors, the same service includes the positions of Scientific Non-Medical staff (Technologists, Physiotherapists, Chemists, Biochemists, Physicists, etc.).
D) the Technical Service. Includes the Technical department and the Biomedical Technology department.
The following University Clinics operate in the Hospital today, belonging to the respective sectors of the Medical Service: AD Pathology Clinic, AD Preparatory Pathology Clinic, Clinic of Pathological Physiology, AD Surgery Clinic, B. Preparatory Surgery Clinic, Urology Clinic.
Apart from these, there are also non-university Clinics, Departments, Units and Laboratories:
• PATHOLOGICAL DEPARTMENT:
1. Cardiology Clinic
2. Nephrology Clinic
3. Allergy Department
4. Bronchoscopy and Spirometry Department
7. Infarction Unit Artificial Kidney
8. Portable Peritoneal Clearance Unit
• SURGICAL AREA:
11. ENT Clinic
13. Anesthesia Department
14. Clinical Kidney and Surgical Nephropathy
• LABORATORY DEPARTMENT:
15. Microbiology department
16. Department of Hematology
17 Biochemistry Department
18. Department of Nuclear Medicine
19. Department of Radiology
20. Department of Cytology
21. Department of Pathology
22. Department of Immunology - Compatibility
23. Department of Pharmacy
24. Department of Blood Donation